Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Deep thinking

I had a really amazing conversation with a good friend of mine last night. We were talking about lots of different things, God, the way he works with people, death, sin, heaven, etc. Yes it was pretty deep! We said next time we'll have to talk about baby clothes or our favorite flavors of ice cream or something :) But it was really interesting to me, as we talked, to note how God works with all of His children. Sometimes it's really easy to believe that God doesn't exist because of the horrible things that happen in the world. But in talking with my friend, I realized that there is so much we do not see. We have no idea the many times or ways that God may be working in people's lives. We may not even realize how much He helps us in our own lives until we look back and realize He was with us all along. It makes me think of that poem "Footprints". Believing that God is there in our trials is a much better alternative than believing there is no one watching over us. Because evil does exist and I'd rather believe that there is a being who will bring justice in the end; One who is the true judge of the whole world. I know that God loves each one of us, that He knows us personally, and that He gives us the strength to handle any trial that may come our way. Miracles do happen and people can be strengthened through hard times.

"My God hath been my support he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
He hath filled me with his love even unto the consuming of my flesh.
He hath confounded mine enemies unto the causing of them to quake before me.
Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time.
And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me."

No comments: