Monday, January 12, 2009

Never Give Up Hope

"Hope sustains us through despair. Hope teaches that there is reason to rejoice even when all seems dark around us."

I have given up hope before. I have thought that God must not care about His children, must not love them enough to prevent the trials and horrors that come to many, even the innocent. I have thought maybe the suffering that I see is an indication of God wanting us to suffer and to live in darkness and despair for a punishment. But I have learned that seeing things in this way only gives way to more darkness, confusion, and despair. And I have to ask myself, "Am I happier for giving in to such a conclusion?" No. So I will choose to have hope that God loves me and will care for me in spite of so much suffering. He knew that trials of every kind, evil and unspeakable injustices and horrors would be among us. And this because the devil would have power over the hearts of many, and God would allow us all to have our agency. Is this unloving or unfair? No, God in His infinite mercy has provided a way for an escape from this! That He has indeed sent His Son for this very reason! Why should we let our hope fail us because of our circumstances in life? We are not the better off for despairing and giving into bitterness and blame. Life is hard and will continue to be so, but why should we make it harder by turning away from the only thing that can give us comfort and peace? We may put up walls of pride and anger, we may victimize ourselves and justify our misery. But where will this take us in the end?

"And to all who suffer--to all who feel discouraged, worried, or lonely--I say with love and deep concern for you, never give in. Never surrender. Never allow despair to overcome your spirit. Embrace and rely upon the Hope of Israel, for the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart. "

No comments: